The Puska 1935 Minta (Rifle, model of 1935, or 35M in short) was developed at FEG arms factory in Budapest during early 1930s, with intent to replace obsolete Steyr Mannlicher M1895 rifles then in use by Hungarian army. The rifle was designed to accept newly developed 8x56R 31M ammunition, and was broadly based on design features, originated by famous Austrian arms designer Ferdinand Ritter Von Mannlicher. This rifle was adopted in 1935 and manufactured at FEG factory. It was used by Hungarian army before, during and shortly after the WW2, and to much lesser extent, by German army during WW2. Total production of 35M rifles is estimated at about 160 000 guns.
The 35M rifle is a manually operated rotary bolt action weapon. It uses Mannlicher-type rotating bolt with dual locking lugs, located at the front of the bolt body, and detachable bolt head which hosts extractor and ejector. The receiver has a split rear bridge. Feed is from integral box magazine, holding five cartridges in a single row. Magazines are loaded using Mannlicher type en-block clips that stay within the magazine until the last round is chambered, and then fall down freely through the opening in the base of magazine, and out of the gun. Manual safety is provided at the rear of the bolt body, just above the exposed cocking piece. Rifle was fitted with blade front sight and tangent type rear sight marked from 100 to 2000 meters range. Wooden stock is made of two separate parts - buttstock with semi-pistol grip and a forend. A carrying sling and a knife-type bayonet were provided as standard accessories.